Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Chosen One The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book takes place in a fundamentalist community where Kyra has three mothers, lots of siblings and has just been promised to her uncle as his seventh wife. The Prophet in their community, Prophet Childs, has instituted new rules that involve burning all outside influences (including books!) and keeping to a strict set of social rules. The author does an amazing job showing how desperate Kyra has become to escape her world. As the plot escalates, Kyra's emotional state becomes more and more unhinged and the reader must just go along for the ride. I read the last fifty pages of the book while walking around the house because I couldn't sit and read this book...it was just too intense. Overall, I'd say this book is horrifying, very sad and impossible to ignore.


View all my reviews.

No comments: